Monday, October 13, 2014

Marathon Training (Week 13)

I ran 5 miles on the treadmill on Saturday because it was raining and cold and I had limited time because we had to meet friends for some BBQ (which was a delicious post-run treat, even though Tom and I were deprived of our weekend bagels). For some reason I had a mental block against running 5 miles straight, so after 1.5 mile, I hopped off to get some water. I did another 2 miles (walking .5 of it), then got water again, then I finished with 1.5 miles.

Sunday was my 10-mile run. Tom did 5 miles with me, then I finished a second 5-mile loop on my own. I was struggling until I took more strides, which helped me keep moving forward and made my footfalls lighter and softer, which made running the rest of the 2 miles of the loop feel much easier. It was a warm day and I test-ran my marathon outfit, which turned out to be a poor choice because it was so warm. I'm not sure what I will wear if it is mid-high 50s on marathon day!

I read a blog about BQ-ing and one of the factors the author attributed his BQ to was increasing his strides per minute to 180/min. A lot of run/science blogs are debunking the theory, but it at least should help reduce impact, right?

I was a bit concerned about not hitting the magical 20-mile number for my longest run in marathon training. I felt slightly better about it after reading about some running coaches recommending running no longer than 2.5 hours (after which the benefits of the run don't outweigh the costs and wear on your body and increases the chance of injury). Of course most assumed that total weekly mileage was decent (mine isn't because I only run on weekends). But I guess I'll either walk slowwwly or let adrenaline carry me across the finish line. I'm already plotting which sweats and/or jacket to buy as bragging rights.


(How I ate back the calories)

No comments:

Post a Comment