Wednesday, November 5, 2014

NYC Marathon Recap

I can't believe I am a marathoner! It was the hardest thing I have ever done. I think I was very underprepared for the distance, especially since my longest "run" this training cycle had been 10 miles + a 4-mile walk.

Pre-Race
Robyn and I signed up for the 8:15am Staten Island Ferry, so I woke up at 6:30am, made 2 peanut butter bagels and got dressed. I packed my bag with a Hello Kitty fleece blanket, put on my throwaway sweatshirt, and took the subway to the ferry terminal. The entire time I listened to two Southern gals discuss their marathons and coach and speedwork.

The ferry terminal was packed with runners. Luckily there were clean and numerous restrooms, and though the line was ridiculously long, it went fast and the bathroom attendant was getting everyone pumped. I gave Robyn a bagel and banana and we waited until 8:10am to board the ferry. The ferry ride was slow and boring, and once we got to Staten Island, we had to board a bus to get to the start. We figured we would rather wait in the warm terminal rather than outside so we waited a bit then boarded the bus for the longest 10-minute ride ever. Lots of runners were sharing stories and backgrounds. The bus ride (we started waiting for a bus at 9:00am) took so long that we got there barely in time for the 10:55am start.


Miles 1-2
We walked up to the Verazzano Bridge, heard the cannon go off, and started our NYC marathon to the sound of Frank Sinatra's New York, New York. We were in the orange corral so we went over the bridge, which was ridiculously windy. I focused on keeping my pace at 12:00-13:00, trying to start slow and finish fast (hah!). Robyn ran a bit faster and kept looking behind at me, but I didn't want to go out too fast, so I tried to keep a steady pace.


Miles 3-9
Brooklyn was by far the best part of the race. The crowds were out, live music was plentiful, and at one point, runners and spectators were doing the YMCA. I took a Gu every 40 minutes to an hour to keep my energy level up. The sun was shining and my legs felt good (too good and I sped up to under 12:00-minute miles).  Robyn and I had split up but her two bathroom stops made us end up in the same place! We stuck together until about Mile 16/17. I high-fived a row of little kids and laughed at the sign that said "Run from ebola!"


Miles 10-16
We crossed the bridge from Brooklyn into Queens and at the half-marathon point, I felt drained. Despite going conservatively, I guess pushing against the wind took more out of me than I expected. Queens was nondescript and soon over, and we were in the long Queensboro bridge, which was incredibly windy. I wanted to walk, but Robyn kept encouraging me to run. I told her that everything from the waist down was in pain. We finally made it through and as we ran into Manhattan, I heard my name being yelled. I was so excited to see Tom and Leemo on the side cheering me on! Boosted, I ran toward 1st Ave.


Miles 17-20
Running up from the 70s to the Bronx was difficult. I knew it was only 8 or so miles to the finish, but I stopped to walk and seriously considered quitting. These were my slowest miles of the race.  I told myself that once I got to Mile 20, it'd be the "halfway" point of the marathon and I could easily finish a 10K. The crowds were also sparse in the 100s and the Bronx. My body was hurting with every step and only walking seemed possible. The Bronx felt quick, and we were soon headed back into Manhattan.

Miles 20-23
I ran down from the Bronx and felt boosted for Mile 20. I sped up and my legs felt surprisingly fresh. But then in Miles 22-23, my legs felt like sandbags and my muscles felt destroyed. Running down 5th Ave. wasn't terrible, but I expected us to run down until 59th St, so I was pleasantly surprised that we turned into the Park right before Mile 24.

Mile 24-26.2
Once inside the Park, I heard my name and looked and saw Nathan! I high-fived him and heard Lyndsey yell, "Yayayay!!" which totally boosted me at that moment! I sped up again, only to hit another wall at Mile 25.  With one mile left to go, I ran/shuffled as quickly as I could, scanning the crowds along 59th St. for Tom.  Right at the corner before turning back into the Park, I saw him and high-fived him! I saw the 26 mile marker and sped up, thinking I could keep it up to the finish. Not so, I lost steam but teared up when I saw the finish line, blinked back my tears, and crossed the finish line!!

Post-Race
My right knee was in immense pain and NYRR makes you shuffle 2 miles to get out of the Park (and once you do, you have to trek another Avenue to get transportation anywhere). All cabs were taken, traffic was horrible because they shut down Broadway. Robyn and I debated getting a Lyft, Uber, pedicab (but we only had $10), and finally boarded a bus ride that took 30 minutes to go 20 blocks. We got home and I showered and we ate brisket and mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, beans, and sweet potatoes.

I can't stop thinking about the experience--it was incredible, but it was also a LOT of wear and tear and damage to my body. I don't think I can run another one, I went as hard as I could and only managed 5:50:05. I think I'll stick to halfs but I'm lucky and thankful I was able to run the NYC Marathon!



No comments:

Post a Comment